Maui 2016, Day #1 - Naps, Hikes, Hospitals


Saturday, January 30, 2016

My dad and uncle Dwayne picked me up from the airport around 11PM Friday evening, January 29, 2016.We got to the condo and I got to gives hugs and kisses to the family and hang out with them for a bit before calling it a night. I was really looking forward to sleeping in the next day.

However, the frogs or birds or whatever satan spawn was outside had other plans. Maui is also 4 hours behind so I woke up around 6 AM because it was 10 in Winnipeg and because it sounded like there was a sound machine outside our window with nature's noises. I can't even explain how loud it was but it woke us up every morning.



It was a nice relaxed morning, with coffee and breakfast with everyone. Dad and I enjoyed a cup of coffee just the two of us on our balcony while every one was waking up and getting ready for breakfast. Dad and I planned for a beach day while the others we going to the hospital to see my uncle. (more on that later)

Some of these photos are out of order and I apologize but it's a pain to rearrange them. This beach was at the end of the street from our condo building we were staying in. If you go to Hawaii I recommend doing an Air bnb or other vacation rental. It's so economical, especially when there is a group of you going.





We were like cats soaking up the sunshine. In recent years he got really into tanning? My aunts were confused and I couldn't provide an explanation lol.


The sign at the entrance of the condo street.


Dad and I had lunch at Moose McGillicuddy's which was 'the bar' of the trip. The staff already knew my family by the time I got there since they had all been there for a few days already. The windows were open and this little bird (above) was walking around looking for food.


Dad and I had a little photo shoot on the walk back from lunch.


He's so cute - looks like he's on his way to his first day of school holding my leftovers.

This was the view when you walked out of our condo. The foliage in Hawaii is absolutely goreous.



The side of our building heading towards the beach

Halfway to the beach!




💓






Fishermen

This was part of Maui and those are wind turbines. Hydro is very expensive on the islands so lots of houses have solar panels covering their roofs.



We had an early dinner and ventured out for a walk.


My dad and Aunties Christine and Bernice.























My uncle Terry had a heart attack the day before I arrived and had surgery this morning so we went in the evening to see him. I have to say that the medical attention he received was absolutely amazing. He was in the ICU but because they knew we were on a family vacation they let all of us in to see him. Staff would try stopping us if they hadn't seen us before and his nurses would say "let them in! They're on vacation and it's so nice they're all here to see him." He was out Tuesday and was sitting on the beach with us the next morning.

My sweet cup from Moose McGillicuddy's. I still have it and that's probably because I haven't used it enough to let it fall victim to my clumsiness.

This is Moose McGillicuddy's lit up at night. I thought it looked so charming.

The inside was even more charming. Every piece of wall was covered.


We were all exhausted and headed home around 9. I think everyone was in bed before 11. The time change really kicked our asses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexico 2018 - Cardboard Kelsey

Welcome to my travel blog!!

New Zealand, Day #1 - Arrival, Long Bay Beach, Muriwai Beach

Mexico 2019, Day #1 - La Penita